Ren'Py 100% CPU usage while playing videos in some games

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Brother in Christ, we are talking about RenPy slideshow that for some reason fails to play video file the way every single other software does.
Excuse-me to bother you, but in the post we both answered to, you were talking about WebM movies, and now you say that you are talking about slideshows, before once again pointing to videos. Those are as different to each other than a 750cm² sport motorbike can be to a unicycle.
Do you even actually know what issue you are facing ?

As for the second part, Ren'Py do not play video files, it just display the data provided to it by FFMPEG, the most widely used video library.

It is RenPy specific issue, that no other software has.
And you are saying this because you obviously tested the thousand of software displaying videos in a way or another. And, of course, like, as I said, it's also a question of configuration during the encoding, you did those tests with the WebM videos that raise CPU load to 100% with Ren'Py.
Yet, when I say "thousand"... between games (AAA to indies), video players, converters, web browsers, and all, I should probably add a "s" at the end.

[...] but let's not sugarcoat it into "impossible to fix".
Then, it's a good thing that I never said, nor implied this.

Is it my first interaction with autonomous AI agent?
Well, artificial or not, at least he have some intelligence...

• Haha
Reactions: hu lover

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Excuse-me to bother you, but in the post we both answered to, you were talking about WebM movies, and now you say that you are talking about slideshows, before once again pointing to videos. Those are as different to each other than a 750cm² sport motorbike can be to a unicycle.
Do you even actually know what issue you are facing ?

As for the second part, Ren'Py do not play video files, it just display the data provided to it by FFMPEG, the most widely used video library.

And you are saying this because you obviously tested the thousand of software displaying videos in a way or another. And, of course, like, as I said, it's also a question of configuration during the encoding, you did those tests with the WebM videos that raise CPU load to 100% with Ren'Py.
Yet, when I say "thousand"... between games (AAA to indies), video players, converters, web browsers, and all, I should probably add a "s" at the end.

Then, it's a good thing that I never said, nor implied this.

Well, artificial or not, at least he have some intelligence...
mypossiblepasts,

anne O'nymous sized you out observantly, can you please respond to his cordial reply? thanks!:coffee::giggle:

Oct 21, 2023

And you are saying this because you obviously tested the thousand of software displaying videos in a way or another.
RenPy VN is just slideshow presentation with extra steps, not sure what's confusing here.

The FFMPEG part is actually kind of constructive.

As for the thousand of softwares - I did not had to. All I needed is at least one other software to display the same WEBM file without issue. One is enough to prove that it is software (RenPy) issue and not hardware/drivers/OS.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: hu lover

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
RenPy VN is just slideshow presentation with extra steps, not sure what's confusing here.

The FFMPEG part is actually kind of constructive.

As for the thousand of softwares - I did not had to. All I needed is at least one other software to display the same WEBM file without issue. One is enough to prove that it is software (RenPy) issue and not hardware/drivers/OS.
good response and thank you for your clarity

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
:FacePalm:

Not really, especially when the claim is that everyone else is doing it right, but well...

Oct 21, 2023
:FacePalm:

Not really, especially when the claim is that everyone else is doing it right, but well...
You can facepalm, but deep down you know I am right :giggle:

As for claim, it was rather counter-claim to your claim for issues being outside renpy scope.
If they are outside renpy scope, then so they are outside Chromium scope. But it got sorted there somehow.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022

As for claim, it was rather counter-claim to your claim for issues being outside renpy scope.
If they are outside renpy scope, then so they are outside Chromium scope. But it got sorted there somehow.
who said you are right?

how you are know if you are correct? prove it please. :p

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah, I don't know about games like Sakura Dungeon, or Lust Hunter, among others.

Like I haven't made
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nor am I working on

It's not because something is mostly used in a particular way, that it can't do more...

Oct 21, 2023
Yeah, I don't know about games like Sakura Dungeon, or Lust Hunter, among others.

Like I haven't made

Nor am I working on

It's not because something is mostly used in a particular way, that it can't do more...
Oh cmon, now you're just childish.
9/10 renPy games are just slideshows and 9/10 of those that try to be anything more - suck ass at that.
Buggy sandboxes are a plague and it's just a fact.
Now you bring some outliners to disagree, but it's like saying Minecraft is programming SDK.

And then there is the irony of discussing more-than-slideshow capabilities in thread about failing to play a clip...

Also, your fancy animation, which is still a slideshow that is just slideshowing faster, is actually smoother than inrenpy vids on my desktop. Maybe renPy should implement it instead of their video playback since they are incompetent in building one.

Last edited: