Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

soupault

Dec 23, 2018
The quality of renders in this thread is crazy high nowadays.
Just look at the Maya's feet and ankles, they so look so realistic! Fantastic work, Pillower! :love:

While we're discussing DPC's lighting techniques... I think it's important to point out realism is certainly not his goal. Far from it actually. If you look at my recent Jacob render for example... that's a realistic 11 point lighting setup you'd find at a photographer's studio. Nothing in game looks anywhere close to that level of lighting. What DPC does is entirely different. He lights the background and subject separately, with a clear intent on minimizing harsh shadows using simple primitive shapes as emissive surfaces.

Take this quick render of Maya getting clapped by Magnar I put together as an example:

View attachment 3708744

The room is lit evenly by an entire ceiling-spanning ghost light with a warm tint. You don't really even need to use a ghostlight here and could have just turned the actual ceiling geometry into an emissive since it's out of shot and achieved the same effect. Notice how there are almost no strong shadows? This is how almost all of DPC's backgrounds are lit from what I can tell. The characters themselves needed a little more, so behind the camera is nothing but a primitive square projecting soft light onto their bodies to create a little more depth. Now I could have fiddled with it more and accentuated certain parts of the image I want to draw attention to, but hopefully the example at least might help someone out.

As far as the lights in the eyes, those are just the reflections of the primitive emissive squares he's using to light the characters, as well as some could be put there for no other purpose than the eye reflections. This lighting style is much more obvious early on in BAD history, and he's certainly experimented over time, but its pretty clear he still heavily uses emissive lighting.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes