HTML Tried my hand at Twine. Would appreciate input

Tecton

May 25, 2017
Didn't want to put this in the games section since it's practically nothing. Just a handful of screens with text. Just trying to figure out how Twine 2 and it's Harlowe language work. It's a much bigger pain in the ass than I was lead to believe...but hey, I have a learning disability.

Anyways, it has 'kind-of' incest, given that one of the characters is a step-sister. And don't worry, nothing forced my hand to change from blood family. It just popped into my brain, y'know?

Got it hosted over on itch.io, so is the link to the page. It's embedded, but hopefully should work okay.

Keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. And yeah, that's me. Got an AO3 account to prove I'm Anonymess.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
The way it's embedded is a bit strange, but that might be a itch.io problem and not something you can really do anything about, I don't know anything about hosting a project on itch.io.

The writing is fine.

Currently it's not so much a game/interactive experience as it is a "always click the top option or you game over". I might have missed something as towards the end I stopped going for the other option, but every time I did I got a "bad ending" so-to-speak.

There is potential, but as you've said it's just a handful of screens with text.

I don't know what you're going to go for with this, but keep going at least for a little while and see if you can make something more out of it. Also, if it's just writing you're interested in I would recommend trying a site like chyoa.com and joining or starting a story there, they let you use variables and things like that and you don't really need to know anything about the coding part behind it. So it's a more streamlined experience.

If you DO want to continue with this and making it into a larger project all I can really recommend you do is that you keep the documentation page open while you're working on it and just check, check and check again even if you think you know the answer.

I wish you the best of luck! (y)

Tecton

May 25, 2017
I know it's pretty simple. That was the point. I focused on making something I knew I could get to work right. I'm still trying to figure it out, but it's not easy when my brain retains new knowledge like a cup with no bottom holds water.

As for how oddly it's embedded...doubt that's something I can fix. On itch.io, you just upload the file, choose if it's embedded, then set a window size. No other options.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
I know it's pretty simple. That was the point. I focused on making something I knew I could get to work right. I'm still trying to figure it out, but it's not easy when my brain retains new knowledge like a cup with no bottom holds water.
Exactly, and like I said that's fine. Don't get me wrong, I was complimenting and trying to point you towards a new route to try and continue along the path you were going. Although I realise now that I could have worded it better, and I apologise for that.

As for how oddly it's embedded...doubt that's something I can fix. On itch.io, you just upload the file, choose if it's embedded, then set a window size. No other options.
Yeah, that sucks. I would almost say throw it up on a githubpages page instead. But I'm not sure github's policy allows this kind of content :unsure:

Tecton

May 25, 2017
It's all good. Didn't take offense, just saying that with my current skill level, something like this is all I can manage. I'd love to make something as complex as The Company...but I opened that html file in twine. Holy fuck, it was nuts.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
It's all good. Didn't take offense, just saying that with my current skill level, something like this is all I can manage.
Alright, just making sure

I'd love to make something as complex as The Company...but I opened that html file in twine. Holy fuck, it was nuts.
Oh yeah, I've checked it before and made some fixes to it for things I notice before an official fix was released. Projects of that size are really quite something.
I started something in twine (sugarcube2 I believe? ) myself a while ago, but it never went anywhere. I would love to get back into it at some point, but I just haven't had time.

Tecton

May 25, 2017
I started something in twine (sugarcube2 I believe? ) myself a while ago, but it never went anywhere. I would love to get back into it at some point, but I just haven't had time.
This one is made in Harlowe. It's supposed to be the easiest to start with, but a lot of the terminology just shoots over my head. I'm really not good at learning new stuff.