VN - Ren'Py - omiSt [v0.0.5] [Hanamura]

1. 1.00 star(s)

Dorfnutter

The 1 star I'm giving this game is from the small stuff I've seen from the story that could've made it better had they been the main focus or expanded upon (i.e. the science experiments, the uncle focusing on his projects, the sci-fi futuristic vibe of the setting, the humorous moments happening in the background during the intro and the expo).

The minus 4 stars is for everything else: from the actual story being wholly derivative and does a great disservice to the setting that it has, to the unoriginal character writing, to the renders having this weird "unfinished" look and have proportions that look "off," to the music being ho-hum, and to the overall experience making me less interested in seeing what happens next.

Just terrible all around in my opinion. Avoid this one like the plague.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for Demo

Right away this game does itself two disservices, the first being the overview. Anyone remotely familiar with AVNs on this site knows the concept of "young guy moves to new town to attend new school and meet new people" has been beat to shit. You've likely played five other games with the same idea. Thankfully this game is almost deceptively deeper than that.

Things start to deviate from that cliché a bit with the setting. The world is more technologically advanced than our modern day. Automatons, hyper-advanced ai, crazy inventions, etc etc. Not a new concept either by any means, but it feels a bit fresher. Then, without spoilers, the current demo ends on a cliffhanger that completely upsets wherever you thought this might be going. I was pleasantly surprised.

The other disservice I mentioned is with the renders. It starts out pretty rough graphically, and in my head I was thinking it would probably be the games biggest issue. But then, like 15 minutes in, it all improves astronomically. It kind of boggles my mind the dev didn't take the extra time to just rework that opening given how important first impressions are, but regardless the problem was solved. Don't judge a book by its cover I suppose.

So with that out of the way, I gotta say this was actually pretty solid for a demo. Characters are fun so far, dialogue is solid enough, MC has been fine to play as, it has music, the list goes on. It's a bit early to talk about a lot of these things in-depth since there's only an hours worth of stuff to go on, but at its core the game has some personality and that is an important quality of an AVN imo. Once again the plot is moving in a much different direction that I thought it might as well, and I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.

You can tell the dev is new with game development in a couple areas for sure. Some spots need grammar/translation(?) improvements, the writing falls a little flat in spots, some of the poses and models can look weird at times, humor doesn't always work for me, and again the list goes on here too. But really there was nothing major that would turn me away from this. The only aspect I can't speak on is lewd stuff, as it doesn't exist yet. We had the cliché girl walks into our bedroom while the MCs dick is out and rock hard while he sleeps (the accidental dick slap was funny admittedly), but no actual sex scenes yet.

All in all a surprisingly solid start. Need a lot more to go on to determine how I realty feel about this, but I'll return to it after some updates for sure. Worth keeping an eye on for now.