Recommending Lesbian Protagonist Games List (My Version)

Jun 6, 2022
Yup it's that game but holy shit i know that hella yuri have give it a bad review but i didint't know that developer asked for it,
dunno if they were that confident or that stupid or just thought ''any publicity is a good publicity''
yes this is what the curator said when they gave the bad review

Yeah... I just finished playing through since the dev insisted that it would be fine and... I'm afraid I have to give a rare anti-recommendation, at least at this point in time. The game ends with Siona setting her sights on a new guy. The artwork for the upcoming game prominently features Siona and a guy. The dev insists that Siona is only a side route and that this relationship is not doomed, but there IS no relationship at this point.
I'm no expert in advertising, but I have no idea how the dev thought it was a good idea to make a yuribait game to promote his straight game with people who are interested in real yuri/lesbian games.

seems like a pure waste of resources, it doesn't make sense

Aug 28, 2021
I'm no expert in advertising, but I have no idea how the dev thought it was a good idea to make a yuribait game to promote his straight game with people who are interested in real yuri/lesbian games.

Maybe is dumb enough to be blind to his dumbness.

Birdnman993

Dec 6, 2021

Evil my friend, pure evil.

The yuribait along with the conversion from lesbian to straight is one of the most insulting things for a Yuri fan, I may be exaggerating but that is just a way to spit in the face of yuri fans

Jun 7, 2018
Evil my friend, pure evil.

The yuribait along with the conversion from lesbian to straight is one of the most insulting things for a Yuri fan, I may be exaggerating but that is just a way to spit in the face of yuri fans
Nutso Opinion, I like a Female Protagonist Game where there are male and female love interest just so I feels like i really have a choice of dating male or female but still choose female. It feels more realistic for me because life doesn't always give you "Everyone you meet are a Beautiful Gay Girl". But what I hate the most is indeed Yuribait. What would people do if i make a Hetero Game with Male Protagonist but it is actually a Heterobait that is focused on Yuri where I will switch POV to the girl to make the Male Self Insert be a loser who will never get the girl and fall into despair and cry like a bitch? now that is a True NTR,

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
sorry, for a small rant, i don't know if we'll ever see it here, but i recently played a “yuri” game (important because it's sold as such), and then the disappointment when the characters spend all their time talking about the men they like.

my question is, for what kind of people are such games for? someone who is interested in yuri-lesbian won't like it, even hella yuri gave it a negative rating in her curator.

I didn't finish it because I didn't like it, but according to hella yuri the end is that one of the main characters goes after a man (generic male protagonist of their other game), WTF the nerve of selling something like that as yuri.
Yuri is not as strictly defined as you make it out to be. In fact, a very tight and intimate friendship is absolutely a yuri setting. Maybe, to some extent, a tragic yuri setting, since everyone can see that they would be perfect for each other. But yuri nonetheless. One of the most popular examples of this is "Nana" by Yazawa Ai.

I would argue, that in the majority of cases, female friendship is much more intimate than male friendship. Much more information about your personal life is shared, more relationship advice given, even some of the first sexual experiments may be with a close friend. I find this closeness severely underappreciated and underused in the modern yuri genre. It takes some bravery to break that genre convention and create something truly unique like Yazawa did.

That being said. I don't know of any AVN that manages to pull that off. So maybe that's why you consider it an insult to have a close-knit female friends group talk about their favorite male LIs. I, for my part, see nothing wrong with it. It can be quite an intimate yuri setting with lots of twists and turns, that can involve both hetero and lgbt content.

GreenDark

Jul 25, 2018
What would people do if i make a Hetero Game with Male Protagonist but it is actually a Heterobait that is focused on Yuri where I will switch POV to the girl to make the Male Self Insert be a loser who will never get the girl and fall into despair and cry like a bitch? now that is a True NTR,
This reminded me of Kannazuki no Miko. I think it doesn't count as being misleading or bait since it has a general yuri vibe and the relationship between the two main girls is strong and leans romantic from the beginning. But there is a male LI for one of them and he even kisses her but she cries and it's later re-contextualized along the lines of "she knew deep down he wasn't who she wanted".
Something like this would have the more fragile hetero children you can find on F95 cry themselves to sleep in terror and rage.

Jun 7, 2018
I would argue, that in the majority of cases, female friendship is much more intimate than male friendship. Much more information about your personal life is shared, more relationship advice given, even some of the first sexual experiments may be with a close friend. I find this closeness severely underappreciated and underused in the modern yuri genre. It takes some bravery to break that genre convention and create something truly unique like Yazawa did.
But that shared personal life one is what makes most girl that doesn't fit in just give up and if you can't fit in then they just forget about you and it will send you into a spiral of self-depreciation and doubt while "Adult" tell you to fit in and blame you as if it were your fault in the first place for being "You". For normal girl it is a perfect system since drama rarely happen if you fit in but for weirdo, "Back to da Internet with ya, Ya Gremlin!" and if you hang with some dude who is as a weirdo as you are then they will think you are dating or some shit.

Jun 6, 2022
Yuri is not as strictly defined as you make it out to be. In fact, a very tight and intimate friendship is absolutely a yuri setting. Maybe, to some extent, a tragic yuri setting, since everyone can see that they would be perfect for each other. But yuri nonetheless. One of the most popular examples of this is "Nana" by Yazawa Ai.

That being said. I don't know of any AVN that manages to pull that off. So maybe that's why you consider it an insult to have a close-knit female friends group talk about their favorite male LIs. I, for my part, see nothing wrong with it. It can be quite an intimate yuri setting with lots of twists and turns, that can involve both hetero and lgbt content.
well, i'm not going to argue the definition of yuri. but nana is not even considered as such, or at least I have never seen it sold as one, nor any page that lists it as such.

but that doesn't take away from the fact that the dev did try to promote his game in a curator looking for female/female romantic content (which is the description of hellayuri).

apart from the fact that the dev sells the game in the description by putting focus on the fact that there may be a romance between them, things that never happens or is even a slightest bit hinted at as a possibility in the game.

hence my focus on my comment that the guy sells it as yuri "according to the definition I use".

Last edited:
Reactions: GokutheG

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
well, i'm not going to argue the definition of yuri. but nana is not even considered as such, or at least I have never seen it sold as one, nor any page that lists it as such.

but that doesn't take away from the fact that the dev did try to promote his game in a curator looking for female/female romantic content (which is the description of hellayuri).

apart from the fact that the dev sells the game in the description by putting focus on the fact that there may be a romance between them, things that never happens or is even a slightest bit hinted at as a possibility in the game.

hence my focus on my comment that the guy sells it as yuri "according to the definition I use".

Oh, Nana is considered yuri by plenty of people. It's not complete, so there is no way to resolve this debate one way or another. But even the main protagonists mention that they would be perfect for each other. So, whether the show has the official tag or not doesn't really matter.

There is a legitimate level of mistrust when heterosexual relationships and yuri love coexist in the same plot, and I get that. But I don't think that's a law of nature. It's perfectly fine to have a male crush and be in an amorous relationship with your bff. It might even lead to a lesbian relationship, or it might not. The reasons why things happen and don't happen are really complex and people do not always follow their heart. But the feelings that are involved can be very strong, very intimate and it can definitely be more than platonic love, even when one or both of them are in a heterosexual relationship or seeking one.

I didn't respond to some guy selling his game. That's not really what I wanted to talk about and I don't have anything else to add to this conversation. So, just ignore it if you feel that I missed your point.

Jun 6, 2022
Oh, Nana is considered yuri by plenty of people. It's not complete, so there is no way to resolve this debate one way or another. But even the main protagonists mention that they would be perfect for each other. So, whether the show has the official tag or not doesn't really matter.

There is a legitimate level of mistrust when heterosexual relationships and yuri love coexist in the same plot, and I get that. But I don't think that's a law of nature. It's perfectly fine to have a male crush and be in an amorous relationship with your bff. It might even lead to a lesbian relationship, or it might not. The reasons why things happen and don't happen are really complex and people do not always follow their heart. But the feelings that are involved can be very strong, very intimate and it can definitely be more than platonic love, even when one or both of them are in a heterosexual relationship or seeking one.

I didn't respond to some guy selling his game. That's not really what I wanted to talk about and I don't have anything else to add to this conversation. So, just ignore it if you feel that I missed your point.
but that's the thing nana it's officially not a yuri, the people who consider it as such is because they ship the main characters, the same thing happens with other series like lycoris recoil, which is not officially a yuri, but people popularize it as such for the same reason.

if the 2 of them end up with a man, the vast majority if not all of those who considered it as a yuri will complain about yuri-bait, which in itself many already do.

also, sincerely it seems to me that you cannot say that the author broke the "genre convention", when not even officially that work is of that genre.

regardless, i prefer to go by the official genres.

i said i didn't want to discuss the meaning of yuri, that's because i don't care what people think it means today, i'll stick with the original meaning, which is a word created by a gay magazine to say it's the lesbian counterpart of bara (i.e gay manga created by and for gay men).

It happens a lot like with the word lesbian where certain groups want to change its meaning, I will stick with the meaning I have known all my life.

Last edited:

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
It happens a lot like with the word lesbian where certain groups want to change its meaning, I will stick with the meaning I have known all my life.
That's quite dogmatic and doesn't leave much room for creative freedom. You are phrasing it like that magazine is your Bible. The term yuri-bait is certainly (and hopefully) not there to discriminate against the various level's homoerotic friendship. Otherwise, the term would be quite exclusionary. It is there to pinpoint the deliberate misuse of lesbian and yuri content in order to sell a heterosexual product or agenda. And that is not what is happening in Nana and in all the other yuri shows that don't abide by your strict interpretation of the term.

If yuri-bait becomes a catchphrase to exclude people who have homoerotic feelings, I'm quite certain that it is doing a great disservice to the genre.

Reactions: jufot
Jun 6, 2022
That's quite dogmatic and doesn't leave much room for creative freedom. You are phrasing it like that magazine is your Bible. The term yuri-bait is certainly (and hopefully) not there to discriminate against the various level's homoerotic friendship. Otherwise, the term would be quite exclusionary. It is there to pinpoint the deliberate misuse of lesbian and yuri content in order to sell a heterosexual product or agenda. And that is not what is happening in Nana and in all the other yuri shows that don't abide by your strict interpretation of the term.

If yuri-bait becomes a catchphrase to exclude people who have homoerotic feelings, I'm quite certain that it is doing a great disservice to the genre.
It's not that I'm strict, it's that they don't even consider themselves as such, we agree that nana does not
"deliberate misuse of lesbian and yuri content in order to sell a heterosexual product or agenda"
but I agree that because nana is not officially of the yuri genre it is not sold as such, neither the author, nor the magazine, nor even the scans that translate it put it as yuri.

the genres as such are strict, the stories are not, because a story can combine several genres.

and again, officially nana does not have the genre Yuri, and if there are people who want to impose it because they think that yuri a word that was created by gays to tell the genre of lesbian stories, is simply friendship, it makes me sound that they have a problem of not taking lesbian relationships seriously.

because this bullshit that it means just "close friendship", I have only seen it happen with us, people do take yaoi and bara as romantic relationships between men.

personally, I'm not going to continue talking about this anymore, but the truth is that nana is officially not considered as Yuri by its magazine.

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
sonally, I'm not going to continue talking about this anymore, but the truth is that nana is officially not considered as Yuri by its magazine.
I never claimed that it was considered Yuri by any magazine, authority or website. I just didn't say that. I said that yuri is not a term that can be strictly defined and hence needs to leave room for different types of relationships with various degrees of intimacy. Nana is an example of this, that's what I said. Refuting a claim that was never made is called a strawman argument.
Your claim that this would show disregard for lesbian relationships is just outlandish. But that's exactly how people like to exclude what they don't like. Instead of seeing them as a different variation of the same homoerotic desire, it is branded as a different genre, as an intrusion into the pureness of whatever they are trying to preserve. It's dogmatic. That exercise serves absolutely nobody.

An intimate friendship can absolutely stray in the area between intimacy and platonic. It can simmer there, it can evolve into something else or become a tragic tale (as in Nana, again: It's incomplete) of missed opportunities. That's what happens in Hongkong 1986, depending on your choices. Great lesbian AVN that leaves it open to deviate. There is just no reason to be this pedantic, unless you really expect an outright attack.

But yes, let's stop. I'm as tired of this as you are. (I will definitely not respond anymore, I didn't mean for it to fill this thread, sorry for that)

Last edited: