Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
I personally don't mind bad animations I prefer bad ones over nothing ( not stills being looped to make a fake one) . With that being said animation make a small part of any game I much rather have the game progress forward than spend time on animations. I think animations would be nice once a project is completed

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
Daz is notorious for it's sub par animation module. People are then driven to either work with premade ones that might not really fit or to learn to do them in blender. I see a trend among devs that have established their bases in Daz migrating toward Blender for animations and cloths physics as well to a lesser extent to render. but that takes a lot of time to do and adapt the skills you already have.

Something that bring the experience to the next level for me is quality renders. Morrigan delivers that in spades no doubts there. There are other things that could make it even more awesome, but the development cycle would slow down to a crawl. Sure an unreleased game will one day be awesome while a rushed game will forever be shity. (I realy need to find the original quote and the dev that said it) But the financial aspect and what you can reasonably accomplish by yourself must also be taken in to account. I think Morrigan has struck a lovely balance.

BenHatira

Oct 12, 2021
Daz is notorious for it's sub par animation module. People are then driven to either work with premade ones that might not really fit or to learn to do them in blender.
Oh jeez, yeah there are many games with a good premise who use the default animations with the models just for the sake of saying there are ani in this game.

And it just feels cheap and takes away from the actual good writing those games have ( Everytime i see those animations pop up, i subconsciously start thinking "man that game ain't that great as i thought").

I even prefer just stills being repeated to give the illusion of a animation at this point....

Reactions: Knight_of_the_lance

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
Oh jeez, yeah there are many games with a good premise who use the default animations with the models just for the sake of saying there are ani in this game.

And it just feels cheap and takes away from the actual good writing those games have ( Everytime i see those animations pop up, i subconsciously start thinking "man that game ain't that great as i thought").

I even prefer just stills being repeated to give the illusion of a animation at this point....
While I don't mind bad animations since it feels the norm to have some animations however when I see a game that has "fake animations" basically just looping a few renders that's when it takes me out of it and think this game is kind of bad even if I like everything else

• Thinking Face
Reactions: BenHatira

BenHatira

Oct 12, 2021
While I don't mind bad animations since it feels the norm to have some animations however when I see a game that has "fake animations" basically just looping a few renders that's when it takes me out of it and think this game is kind of bad even if I like everything else
Have you seen those typical premade animations for DAZ ? It's always the same having someone on the table in a kinda missionary style, than that lame ass low frame fucking from behind while standing (something that happens in rather popular games like Milfylicious) - and mind you those animations are cranky as fuck.

So yeah i take 3-5 unique created pictures scrambled together as a animation over that kind of animations all the time.

But i think we are going off the topic in this thread atm :cool:

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
It is not off topic to discus what we would like to see in the game. It is off topic to discus our preferences. So you can talk about what you would like to see in the game while stating your preferences. no biggie. You just have to make sure it is in the context of the game.

For me I agree with BenHatira about a few still making the illusion of movement like an old hand drawn animation. But I also understand Dessolos's point of view. For me what makes or breaks those sequences is the transition between those frames. A dry transition gives the impression of a job half done. In that casse I tend to lean more toward Dessolo even if for me it would not break the game for me. If done well with great transition between the frames and good pacing usually not linked directly with the player input devs can do magic even with only two frames. They can control the speed to go with what the story is telling, they can do pauses to let the characters take their breath and make it all really arousing. But I admit a low effort one where you have to click for each hip movement with no or bare bone text is a let down.

And here I come and put that in EI's context. EI is already separated in three main paths, each with some variation. Not knowing personally Morrigan I will simply assume she will treat each path with the same care and assume she does not have any preference herself. For one render instead let's do a one second animation with the same hi standard than the rest of the game, so 60 frame per second. even if a frame takes less time to render than a standard render once it gets multiplied by three (one animation for each path) it becomes a no brainer why Morrigan decided to skip them. As for a simple three frame animation, it is less intensive, but it is still at least three times the work time for the computer and more time for Morrigan herself, needing to code it for it to be something smooth. Yhea, I could see that done as a side project to learn how to do it, but trying to integrate that raw into the game... expect some delay. Ultimately it is Morrigan's choice. Up to this point she showed us that she is making her decisions based on what would be good for the game. Animation are no different. If she decide to integrate something it will be because she considers it to be worth it. Me stating that I would like to see a simple well made low frame animation can not change anything to that.

Who knows maybe in it's finale the game will get something. I know usually games that get endings are work intensive by the end but if I was a dev I would want to do something special for said ending.

4.90 star(s) 92 Votes