VN Ren'Py UC8 [v0.2.0.4] [Dark Griffin Games]

4.80 star(s) 8 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay UC fans... I'm prepping SM to be ready for the next update now. My bud DG will always get the very latest feature sets of the mod but if there's something y'all desire in addition then ping me in the mod's thread.

If the request is plausible then I'll certainly consider it. If it's goofy I might still consider it. If it's stupid I'll likely ignore it and let other site members meme you into oblivion. See? I'm reasonable. :ROFLMAO:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well What you missed when you chose a instead z at the end of update would be nice but doubt that's possible for modder to do.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
well What you missed when you chose a instead z at the end of update would be nice but doubt that's possible for modder to do.
You mean split scenes (if applicable) for the new update? There weren't any to split in Prologue that I recall. Otherwise the last choice in Prologue was whether or not to creampie Bea which doesn't matter.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
You mean split scenes (if applicable) for the new update? There weren't any to split in Prologue that I recall.
well not to advertise anything but like on kthulian's game where "fairy good mother" shows to player what he missed when choosing a instead z.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
well not to advertise anything but like on kthulian's game where "fairy good mother" shows to player what he missed when choosing a instead z.
I've not played nor ever seen it but it sounds like you are describing a chapter/episode summary screen of some type that also shows milestones missed? If so, that's more of a dev-type of thing to implement as it would leave me to assume what any milestones achieved or made may or may not be. Slippery slope at first glance. But my brain is visioning a 'Chasing Sunsets' type of summary that you must be describing.

Reactions: haooni and Grif1001

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I've not played nor ever seen it but it sounds like you are describing a chapter/episode summary screen of some type that also shows milestones missed? If so, that's more of a dev-type of thing to implement as it would leave me to assume what any milestones achieved or made may or may not be. Slippery slope at first glance. But my brain is visioning a 'Chasing Sunsets' type of summary that you must be describing.
something like that and yes it's dev thingy.

Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
something like that and yes it's dev thingy.
Okay. If Griffin is game to that fitting into his vision of the VN and needs help I'll back him up. Hell, I would have missed the pineapple on the pizza so he's gotta drive this car, I'm just a passenger and potential navigator.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Grif1001

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Or a Leap Of Faith one... but let's remember that first, I am a writer; then, an artist; and lastly, in the most noob essence of the term, a coder.
Also, this is only episode 1 of chapter one, maybe, If I can figure out the coding , I can do a chapter recap at the end of the chapter after the next episode.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Or a Leap Of Faith one... but let's remember that first, I am a writer; then, an artist; and lastly, in the most noob essence of the term, a coder.
Also, this is only episode 1 of chapter one, maybe, If I can figure out the coding , I can do a chapter recap at the end of the chapter after the next episode.
As stated I'll back you up. I can type up the theory of how the process works in it's simplest form with comedic coding examples so it makes sense. But that's only if the suggestion by cxx fits your vision of course.

Also... did you really just say (and mean) Episode 1 of Chapter 1? Are you thinking chapters subset by episodes in your storyboarded outline or am I high? :ROFLMAO:

• Red Heart

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
And for what It's worth, I'm a pretty vocal dev. I typically respond to any messages I get. If someone can't figure out why they are missing an achievement or where they need to look to get it, like the hidden Easter Egg Achievement coming it this next release, all they need to do is ask, or just pm/dm me and I will either give hints or outright answer depending on the situation...

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
As stated I'll back you up. I can type up the theory of how the process works in it's simplest form with comedic coding examples so it makes sense. But that's only if the suggestion by cxx fits your vision of course.

Also... did you really just say (and mean) Episode 1 of Chapter 1? Are you thinking chapters subset by episodes in your storyboarded outline or am I high? :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I had to break this chapter into 2 episodes because it's very long and if I hadn't then there wouldn't be a release till probably August and it would take 6+ hours to play. the testers averaged 3 to 5 hours on the content in this update as it is.

Reactions: haooni

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023

He did say he is a writer - that's the way a writer would likely go about it. I respect the hell out of that! :cool:

Reactions: Elhemeer

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
He did say he is a writer - that's the way a writer would likely go about it. I respect the hell out of that! :cool:
Oh, I do not disagree so that's why I asked since I've yet to code a mod for any AVN (that I can think of) that the dev had full chapters subset by episodes "officially". Some don't have anything other than versions and I enforce (make) episode/chapter variables for the mod to use so we all have common ground to reference. Otherwise they only have Chapters or Episodes (they use the terms interchangeably).

Now, if we are using the term chapters for 'seasons' then yes, that's commonplace. But that's not the case here from my understanding so yep, I'm on board.

Last edited:

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Oh, I do not disagree so that's why I asked since I've yet to code a mod for any AVN (that I can think of) that the dev had full chapters subset by episodes "officially". Some don't have anything other than versions and I enforce (make) episode/chapter variables for the mod to use so we all have common ground to reference. Most have only Chapters or Episodes.
I couldn't imagine coding and writing any other way, at least if it's something that's going to be of any length.

When I was learning COBOL about 40 years ago, doing the outline and writing modules to fit within the outline was how I learned to put together a program - take a big thing and put together bite-sized pieces of logic to build the whole. Same when I had to write a legal style brief, ruling request, planning discussion, or technical white paper - if I didn't make a map for where I was going, I might go way offroad on my way to getting there and that just didn't cut it.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I couldn't imagine coding and writing any other way, at least if it's something that's going to be of any length.

When I was learning COBOL about 40 years ago, doing the outline and writing modules to fit within the outline was how I learned to put together a program - take a big thing and put together bite-sized pieces of logic to build the whole. Same when I had to write a legal style brief, ruling request, planning discussion, or technical white paper - if I didn't make a map for where I was going, I might go way offroad on my way to getting there and that just didn't cut it.
I reckon many devs say after the fact of a long VN and decide it's time to split things off due to overall novel size they make a "season" which is simply a way for them to break the length... not the same thing at all to actual chapters subset by episodes imo. With that (normal) C/E foundation there's still room for a master season grouping.

So yes, most actual writers do outline first, and every VN dev should storyboard from that for creating a true gameplan and roadmap... you and I agree it's common sense due to our past professions at a minimum.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Every part has a name. they are named after 80's Albums...

So the first release was named after Journey's 1981 album, E5C43P (escape) View attachment 3638366

hense, the UC8 Prologue...

View attachment 3638368
I remember you saying you were doing this. I just did another VN where the Dev is using movie references (maybe TV and literary as well) for his chapters. The last two (easiest for me to remember) were "The Man with The Golden Gun" and "Death Becomes Him". The first is a direct reference, the other is a play on one.

I like the practice - it brings back memories in some circumstances, and makes me look things up and learn something if I'm not getting the reference, but know there's supposed to be one.

4.80 star(s) 8 Votes