VN Ren'Py Dawn Chorus [v0.38.4] [Dawn Chorus]

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes

AnHumanGuy

Jun 6, 2022
I honestly didn't expect this sprite rework to give people very split opinions, but the old front facing sprites were definetly special to the game as they are quite uncommon.

I must say while I need to get used to them, I regret thinking the whole idea was bad and I really like the change. Just yes they now look older and maybe it's too far from what people expect fron the cast ? idk buff men are my passion

Also link to 0.35.2

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
I honestly didn't expect this sprite rework to give people very split opinions, but the old front facing sprites were definetly special to the game as they are quite uncommon.

I must say while I need to get used to them, I regret thinking the whole idea was bad and I really like the change. Just yes they now look older and maybe it's too far from what people expect fron the cast ? idk buff men are my passion

Also link to 0.35.2 Google Drive
Preference can differs greatly, especially come to sexual preferences.
But calling something "Bad" / "Downgrade" simply because you don't like it, is straight up entitlement.

To me they don't even come anywere close to "Bulky-body-builder", just a swift from "Femboy" to "Twink / Twunk".
Yes I like male with defined body - any body-type that doesn't resemble Young Boy / Female.

But Did the Dev mentioned the reason why they reworked the Arts? Does they changed artist or something?
And what's the latest version using Old arts? Someone care to share a copy here, for archive purpose?

Reactions: PaleAngel_90

AnHumanGuy

Jun 6, 2022
Preference can differs greatly, especially come to sexual preferences.
But calling something "Bad" / "Downgrade" simply because you don't like it, is straight up entitlement.

To me they don't even come anywere close to "Bulky-body-builder", just a swift from "Femboy" to "Twink / Twunk".
Yes I like male with defined body - any body-type that doesn't resemble Young Boy / Female.

But Did the Dev mentioned the reason why they reworked the Arts? Does they changed artist or something?
And what's the latest version using Old arts? Someone care to share a copy here, for archive purpose?
For the choice of reworking the sprites, the main artist (the same as for the previous, not sure about the oldest ones) decided that the sprites simply needed a rework. The directors of the game left them finish everything and waited for the public's opinion but they seemed to be ready to go with it at the time :

"I'd like to ask you about your opinions regarding the rework. I see it as a huge step up personally, though I'm torn between shading styles. There might be a poll about that in the future, but for now, I'd like to know what do you think."

also, i don't think they are using the reworked sprites currently, they're still waiting on approval of the public (looking at the 0.35.2 files)

Last edited:
Reactions: nackedsnake

PaleAngel_90

Mar 16, 2021

Also link to 0.35.2 Google Drive
Which route was updated?

mjj2000

Mar 22, 2023
They have already placed their new ugly sprites in ...

BroBob1999

Jun 15, 2023
They have already placed their new ugly sprites in ...
And Keo is doing damage control on all of their social media with the same three copypasted comments, because everyone has the same feedback: "Why is this so bad/uncanny/ugly?".

I love how detached from reality these replies of Keo's are. "we listened to the feedback", "all feedback has been positive", "you'll get used to these new sprites", "they are an overall improvement!".

Hey, whoever has been around since the early days of Dawn Chorus - has the "bara" tag always been in the game's description on itch or is that a new addition?

BaasB Sorry, can you recall if you wrote the tags for the game yourself or if you copypasted whatever was in the tags section on itch at the time?

mjj2000

Mar 22, 2023
And Keo is doing damage control on all of their social media with the same three copypasted comments, because everyone has the same feedback: "Why is this so bad/uncanny/ugly?".

I love how detached from reality these replies of Keo's are. "we listened to the feedback", "all feedback has been positive", "you'll get used to these new sprites", "they are an overall improvement!".

Hey, whoever has been around since the early days of Dawn Chorus - has the "bara" tag always been in the game's description on itch or is that a new addition?

BaasB Sorry, can you recall if you wrote the tags for the game yourself or if you copypasted whatever was in the tags section on itch at the time?
This is easier than answering the question - why the development of three gaming days is not completed in three years? Personally, I will no longer waste my time on this project.

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
So V0.35.2 is the last version with old sprites,
From V0.35.3 onward we'll be using new sprites?

jukumaru

Dec 27, 2020
So V0.35.2 is the last version with old sprites,
From V0.35.3 onward we'll be using new sprites?
That seems to be the intended plan, let's hope that the Dawn Chorus team at least listens to the criticism of the new sprites and changes them accordingly in future updates.

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
Since this is a world of furries, can we fuck animals which would be humans?
AFAIK this does the thing that a lot of furry settings do where there's a distinction between non-sentient animals and animal people. People are still people, even though they're anthropomorphic animals, and animals are still animals.

BroBob1999

Jun 15, 2023
This is easier than answering the question - why the development of three gaming days is not completed in three years?
Have you tried writing a VN? I have. Spent two months writing all the time, only to realize I had maybe 30 minutes of content.

Keo is a little bitch, but lets not invent faults. The writing in Dawn Chorus is solid and you can bet it doesn't come easy to him them :rolleyes:.

But there are three days of content for EIGHT plots. Not all of them are equally polished, only Mikko's and Torulf's routes have real variation to them, but that's still a lot of content for a single writer/lead developer.

The developers block most comments criticizing the game, at least on itch.
They do no such thing. There are plenty of comments openly criticizing them. Also had they been deleting comments - you'd see "Deleted post" where such comments once were. Quick scrolling shows ONE comment deleted by the developer and I think the dude linked here of all places.

Again, lets not invent faults. They don't delete comments, they simply don't engage people's criticisms, which is not much better. That's why old backers started unsubscribing from their patreon - got tired of being ignored.

What a weird fucking developer - can't sway them with words, can't sway them with money, they are just hell bent on turning a whole lot of old fans away because... Wuaugh?

mjj2000

Mar 22, 2023
Have you tried writing a VN? I have. Spent two months writing all the time, only to realize I had maybe 30 minutes of content.

Kid, do not waste your breath - I said that I was not going to waste time on this project and thoughts, much less discussions about it. But if it bothers you so much, then let me inform you - I not only engaged in the development of various creative projects, but also advised and led 50 creative people for the past 6 years. All this is a really wretched turn in the project. Personally, I know how and when to shoot a lame horse. Now there are several projects that are worth attention and I am glad to do this. And do not answer - I put the "ignore" on this discussion.

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
I really don't know why you guys are crying about the "new arts are downgrades".
Apparently they created the new version so people can see what's coming and vote
(everyone can vote)

Objectively the New Art works are much more superior, It's not even about "whether it's twink or hunk" (They are not Hunks at all lol),
but the overall lineart, shading, anatomy, posture, facial expression. The new ones are much more alive.

Reactions: PaleAngel_90

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
I really don't know why you guys are crying about the "new arts are downgrades".
Apparently they created the new version so people can see what's coming and vote
(everyone can vote)

Objectively the New Art works are much more superior, It's not even about "whether it's twink or hunk" (They are not Hunks at all lol),
but the overall lineart, shading, anatomy, posture, facial expression. The new ones are much more alive.
At least in my case, I'll admit it was mostly a knee-jerk to how dogwater/increasingly muscly all the new sprites were compared to the old ones, and also many of the faces were not good, and also the staff lady who had massive honkers which was a bit silly for this VN. Just seeing Arvo's (I can't see the rest since it wants me to sign in on Google, and I'm not going to do that) new sprite is a nice improvement versus what had been previewed prior. The shading's cleaned up and actually looks like it's from the game now. Only change I'm still a bit torn on is the move from the sketched eyes versus more detailed, which they seem to be checking on what people like more.
So a good way to respond to the idiocy that was probably sent their way (myself included) in light of the changes, all things considered.

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 4 Votes