3.60 star(s) 60 Votes
Nov 28, 2020
How i wish Rika and Katelyn can help in the breeding pen as well. (Can also get bred by monsters and get a cutscene where they get pregnant and can give birth the next day or something.) Especially Cecilia. i wanna see her get bred by other monsters and be pregnant with their offsprings.
second this, i was hoping Katelyn gets atleast one scene in the breeding pen.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
second this, i was hoping Katelyn gets atleast one scene in the breeding pen.
From a gameplay balance perspective the breeding pit does not need humans... that honestly makes the gameplay loop and overarching story have issues. The MC is not needed on the farm for the stated reasons.

As stats other than level and species currently do not matter fixing this can not happen. Ideal world would have had humans have key unique (traits/abilities) which are being requested with traits weakening over generations [stopping us from stacking everything on 1 monster].

I get the game is trying to be story focused but they dropped the ball on keeping the story both coherielant and engaging.

sometowell

Jul 17, 2020
From a gameplay balance perspective the breeding pit does not need humans... that honestly makes the gameplay loop and overarching story have issues. The MC is not needed on the farm for the stated reasons.

As stats other than level and species currently do not matter fixing this can not happen. Ideal world would have had humans have key unique (traits/abilities) which are being requested with traits weakening over generations [stopping us from stacking everything on 1 monster].

I get the game is trying to be story focused but they dropped the ball on keeping the story both coherielant and engaging.
There's a solution for that, the monster request where a npc ask for a monster and you unlock an scene, for instance Talia already has a scene with an Elfman and she's not a breeder

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
There's a solution for that, the monster request where a npc ask for a monster and you unlock an scene, for instance Talia already has a scene with an Elfman and she's not a breeder
I know own about her scene. The problem is that the MC has no reason to be needed in the story. Rika or Katelyn could and should have been able to do the job. The literal only bonus of having our character is a male who could initially get enough population with only one monster (which happened to be female) but that could have been filled by them asking Poe to help them out... or having not sold their other monsters to the point of only having 1.

Aside from that initial population issue the only reason to use MC in the pit is to trigger story scenes (gameplaywise). The MC is a detriment rather than a benefit for the rest of that gameplay loop.

We also have the monsters have limited value as they can only be sold via requests. Now supposively (I last played the patreon release before public release) the latest public release fixed the requests system, but even assuming it did that just improves the cash flow issue to continue playing the game after X-amount of weeks in game. We still have no real use for money in the game past the first couple of weeks in the game. The only measure of progression is a new monster being added (which last I checked most aren't even being ordered). The debt should be the progression measure. Have harder monster (stats, traits on requests) be requested as we are shown to actually be making progress on the debt.

The general idea for the game is good, but they focused on story (not really developed well) and monster variety (not that vast) to help cover the gameplay loop issues. The problem is that the story keeps going against itself and shedding light on the gameplay issues.

FreelancerFL

Jul 23, 2017
how to unlock all monster combinations? It seems i missing quite a lot

There are a few threesome scenes with the breeder and Cece in the pit but you need to get your affection with MC and Cece up then both Cece and the monstergirl need to also have high affection, then pick Cece and the monstergirl and the heart icon next to breed.

FreelancerFL

Jul 23, 2017
I know own about her scene. The problem is that the MC has no reason to be needed in the story. Rika or Katelyn could and should have been able to do the job. The literal only bonus of having our character is a male who could initially get enough population with only one monster (which happened to be female) but that could have been filled by them asking Poe to help them out... or having not sold their other monsters to the point of only having 1.

Aside from that initial population issue the only reason to use MC in the pit is to trigger story scenes (gameplaywise). The MC is a detriment rather than a benefit for the rest of that gameplay loop.

We also have the monsters have limited value as they can only be sold via requests. Now supposively (I last played the patreon release before public release) the latest public release fixed the requests system, but even assuming it did that just improves the cash flow issue to continue playing the game after X-amount of weeks in game. We still have no real use for money in the game past the first couple of weeks in the game. The only measure of progression is a new monster being added (which last I checked most aren't even being ordered). The debt should be the progression measure. Have harder monster (stats, traits on requests) be requested as we are shown to actually be making progress on the debt.

The general idea for the game is good, but they focused on story (not really developed well) and monster variety (not that vast) to help cover the gameplay loop issues. The problem is that the story keeps going against itself and shedding light on the gameplay issues.
But Poe isn't a "registered breeder" and Katelyn isn't either, Rika was when she was younger but I wager she's not too enthusiastic about getting wolf dicked in the middle of the field for her daughter to see. IDK man you're thinking too much into it. Maybe that could be a plot device later on as to why it had to be you.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
But Poe isn't a "registered breeder" and Katelyn isn't either, Rika was when she was younger but I wager she's not too enthusiastic about getting wolf dicked in the middle of the field for her daughter to see. IDK man you're thinking too much into it. Maybe that could be a plot device later on as to why it had to be you.
At the very beginning of the story it is directly said we don't have a license either. The exact same series of events could happen to get any of the listed characters an active license.

This is an issue only because it is a plot point that typically should just come up in the very beginning and then be done because the event in question is just the introduction. Other breeding games get around this by either having the character being the one to buy/obtain a "new" ranch/farm or a unique reason is given right up front.

You could argue the creative team for this game was attempting a pity angle for the character's introduction (person with memory loss being thrown a bone to help them) but MC is fulfilling a critical role needed for the business that has been needed for a significant amount of time. If the story had been Katelyn's father died maybe a couple of months ago the position not being filled could have made sense but it has been implied to have been years since the position was filled. You could also argue they tried right place right time but again reference the last sentence. Simple lines at the very beginning of the game about how the last person was a major flop, Rika is infertile and Katelyn has other responsibilities would have been enough to literally have the established backstory work.

It could have been easy to say they were between certified breeders and needed someone to temporarily fill the position to help them keep a float. Part of the story could then have been learning more about how the situation became bad and what happened to the person you are filling in for. We are currently so far into the story now there is no reason to revisit the question. Katelyn's backstory is not fleshed out so her reasons could be brought up but we were not given any reason for Rika to even stop being a breeder in the current story and we have already gone over the topic of her possibly going back into the pit and her deciding not to.

Now I am not saying the came is ruined and it is horrible because it isn't. It has a decent idea and a half built skeleton of a gameplay loop. But the focus of the game and it's updates has been leaning on story plot points being added and a new monster being added with no actual purpose gameplay wise other than a series of gallery images.

This is a problem as we have not had any real measure of progression or difficulty in the main gameplay loop. Traits are irrelevant, all stats are irrelevant besides level, and new monster in the last version I played (7.0) are irrelevant. All we have is a debt that can never be paid off, a handful of additional story scenes every release that do not tie into the core gameplay loop we have and in the case of Cece's story contradict the core mechanics.

sometowell

Jul 17, 2020

Indeed there are things that could be flesh out better, regarding Rika and Katelyn, Rika was retired and the death of her husband changed her, she was even isolating herself from her friends, and Katelyn is more administrative than anything else. The game could have been those two trying to save the farm without the MC, yeah, but it's a dev's decision to have a character for self insertion.

I agree the game loop needs to be improved but for the moment it doesn't look like that's the priority

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
Indeed there are things that could be flesh out better, regarding Rika and Katelyn, Rika was retired and the death of her husband changed her, she was even isolating herself from her friends, and Katelyn is more administrative than anything else. The game could have been those two trying to save the farm without the MC, yeah, but it's a dev's decision to have a character for self insertion.

I agree the game loop needs to be improved but for the moment it doesn't look like that's the priority
I have no issue with a MC self insert character. It is a common tool for storytelling. That said there is always the basics outlined reason.

The game loop has been stagnant since the beginning. The only reason I have even been harping about the story is because they are choosing to use character driven storypoints as "progression" rather than having those story points unlock progression.

Just using the story we have and backfilling gameplay design in we could have "monsters" having a childhood period (not sellable but trainable) as an early difficulty. Use our "breeder card" ranking to unlock harder orders [basically a reputation system] that could branch into how much is owed each month and how much can be made by completing orders. Nu and Rika's farm could have added a food mechanic letting us have resource management challenges of maintaining more monsters. The whole Elf village subplot has multiple paths it could add being additional shops, temp workers for partial automation, really anything. The witch could have been a potion vendor or magic aid for the right price which could have been optimizing monster potentially reducing the [child period] set above or have been a way (wolf man transformation) to have the player's stats increase and have them act as a main stud on the farm increasing their value as difficulty increases.

Reactions: DoktorGuro

sometowell

Jul 17, 2020
I have no issue with a MC self insert character. It is a common tool for storytelling. That said there is always the basics outlined reason.

The game loop has been stagnant since the beginning. The only reason I have even been harping about the story is because they are choosing to use character driven storypoints as "progression" rather than having those story points unlock progression.

Just using the story we have and backfilling gameplay design in we could have "monsters" having a childhood period (not sellable but trainable) as an early difficulty. Use our "breeder card" ranking to unlock harder orders [basically a reputation system] that could branch into how much is owed each month and how much can be made by completing orders. Nu and Rika's farm could have added a food mechanic letting us have resource management challenges of maintaining more monsters. The whole Elf village subplot has multiple paths it could add being additional shops, temp workers for partial automation, really anything. The witch could have been a potion vendor or magic aid for the right price which could have been optimizing monster potentially reducing the [child period] set above or have been a way (wolf man transformation) to have the player's stats increase and have them act as a main stud on the farm increasing their value as difficulty increases.
Hmmm, some stuff you mentioned depend on what the dev can do, they can plan to add a lot of features but it might be out of reach because of time or technical skills, I think they're taking the smart decision, they're trying to focus on what they're good at, art

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
Hmmm, some stuff you mentioned depend on what the dev can do, they can plan to add a lot of features but it might be out of reach because of time or technical skills, I think they're taking the smart decision, they're trying to focus on what they're good at, art
The thing is everything I suggested other than the growing up period has an equivalent technical piece already in the game or is just adding in a logical statement.

The breeding card rank is already in the game. Your rank is tracked on it because of numerical values. Orders being populated also already happens with triggers allowing for I believe 1 new species being added once a certain point is hit. All this would be would be adding flags to have the other monster types be able to be added and a check for if your rank (a farm reputation would be very similar in implementation) is _ or higher for an array of potential qualifications.

The difference between food implementation and money implementation is literally minimal. They would literally just be two math problems in the background based off of simple variables.

The witch was literally just a shop. You get an item (variable added or an item amended to an array depending on how one wants to use the implementation), in the potential situation of the Wolfman form new skin (this is already fully implemented), or in the case of stat changes (literally debug features already in game) a limited interface to do a simple equation.

The Elf's are multiple options. The first shop(s) is already covered. Helpers could be multiple options the one with the least change being a literally revolving Elf characters being accessible in the breeding pen. Anything else would range in difficulty depending on what wanted to implement... and the hardest part would likely be the new images.

The child period is the option with the most effort because at minimum it would be an additional sprite per species and a scaling number of individual checks which could create performance issues... if done in a stupid way.

3.60 star(s) 60 Votes